TRU 101: Welcome to University
Students develop the understanding and skills needed to transition from high school to university and thrive in post-secondary diverse and dynamic learning environments, contribute to academic conversations, make connections between disciplines, and identify how their education will impact their lives and their communities. The course prepares students that are ready to serve as thought leaders in a globalized world and equips them with the skills, knowledge, and high standards necessary for academic success.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Strengthen self-awareness and confidence in personal abilities and success
- Promote high ambition and demonstrate preparedness for academic and career excellence
- Define academic and professional goals and map out a comprehensive plan to achieve these goals
- Develop a consistent individualized approach to university preparation and personal growth
- Identify the value of attaining a university education
- Engage in meaningful conversation about university life within a variety of different contexts
- Access university resources and services required to support learning
- Discuss ways a university education will have an impact on their career and life choices.
- Differences between high school and university: Biggest fears and how to tackle them
- Sean Covey: The 7 habits of highly effective teens/people
- MBGK: Motivation, Background, Grow Zone, and Know-How in finding the best program for you
- Learning in University: The Critical Thinking and Metacognition Skills
- Plan for Success: Knowing Yourself and Setting Goals
- Your First Week: Getting Oriented, Organized and Finding Resources
- Planning your academic year: Time Management and Study Strategies for Busy Students
- Effective learning: Tips on How to Learn From Lectures and Texts
- Study SMART and SHARP – Use Powerful Strategies to Remember, Understand and Apply
- Get Those Projects Done: Project Management for University Students
- Get Ready for Exams: How to Study and Write Exams with Integrity
- Evaluate your Progress and Move Ahead
Covey, S. (2011). The 7 habits of highly effective teens. Simon and Schuster.
Page, C. (Ed.). (2018). University 101: Study, Strategize and Succeed. Kwantlen Polytechnic University.